Saturday, April 16, 2011

Solar Imaging Session - April 17, 2011 (Huge Eruptive Prominences!)

The sky this morning is slightly hazy. With more than 2 weeks of solar hibernation due to busy work loads and body tiredness, I was able to force myself to wake up early and try to image the Sun again. Since it is nearing the month of May already and the Sun continues to rise easterly every day till around May 15 wherein I will more or less be obstructed by our roof:( So with this situation , my solar observing window time continues to dwindle down everyday and from my estimate, I only have a short 45 minutes of observing window to image the Sun from my observing window.

But since I wake up a bit late this morning, at around 8:30am, I only got a small 20 minutes left for me to setup and image the Sun. I setup the PST-Ha and check out the Sun. AR11190 Sunspot Group is now nearing the NW limb and is nicely situated beside a large dark filament. On the NE limb area, AR11193 Sunspot Group continues to grow in size while small AR11191 Sunspot Group can be seen beside AR11193.

While trying to also do white light imaging, I was tempted to dismantle the PST-Ha in place of the TV-101 refractor so I can image the 2 big sunspot group in white light, I decided to make another scan of the solar limb and was happy I did it because I could have missed the huge eruptive prominence that was visible in the SW limb! One of the section of this huge eruptive prominence even resemble a fish bone appearance :) LOL Nice!

Unfortunately, I got obstructed already by the time I setup the TV-101 refractor :( Anyway, will try to do solar imaging a little earlier to get ample time to image it also in white light wavelength.



No comments: