Sunday, June 1, 2014

Deep Sky Imaging Session - May 31, 2014

Last May 31, I was with some of my fellow members of Astronomical League of the Philippines (ALP) to do some observing and imaging under the dark skies of Caliraya, Laguna. The sky was mostly clear except for some light drizzle which last only for a few minutes or longest of about 10 minutes. I was planning to autoguide my Kenko Sky Memo sky tracker but unfortunately, the plate that I fabricated was slipping from the tangent arm because of balance issues so I had to forgo it and instead try to image NGC6334 Cat's Paw and NGC6357 Lobster Nebula in Scorpius using Canon EOS 1000D (M) DSLR with Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS L lens set at 300mm f/5.6 . Total exposure of 1 hour at ISO 800. I had a hard time composing the 2 nebula together just looking through the camera viewfinder only as since the plate was slipping, I wasn't able to install a finderscope to help me compose the the duo :( Nevertheless, I was able to finally compose it correctly and despite the frustrations I encountered earlier in the evening. I hope to be able to do some more deep sky imaging in future sessions......

No comments: