Saturday, January 12, 2013

Solar Imaging Session - January 13, 2013 (Huge AR11654 Sunspot Group)

I was so tired last night after doing my paper works and I wake up late already and saw clear blue sky !!! Darn! The Sun is almost past halfway my observing window and I got less than one hour for me to observe and image the Sun. Seeing condition, by the way, is fair only despite blue sky :( Of course I started out with doing Ha wavelength imaging and I was surprised how large AR11654 Sunspot Group has become after missing the Sun for more than 3 days because of bad weather. The Sun is quite active with still more than 10 groups on the Sun's disk. A new possible AR11658 Sunspot Group is entering the Sun's eastern limb. Several large eruptive and hedgerow prominences can be seen in the NE and SW quadrant while numerous long twisting dark filaments can be seen as well specially in the SW quadrant which are a joy to look at and image! With my observing window narrowing down to less than 15 minutes, I had to quickly take an image of AR11654 Sunspot Group in high resolution white light but my usual imaging scale using 5x barlow can't fit the entire group in as it is so huge in size that I need to use my double stacked 2x barlow lens framing to fit it all in. But I still cant resist trying to image the group with my 5x barlow shot but unfortunately, our roof had started to obstruct the Sun so I was only able to get the bigger section of this group before totally getting obstructed :( Oh well....... I also wasn't able to image the Sun in full disk because of constrain time so I had to borrow a full disk image of the Sun courtesy of SOHO to illustrate how big AR11654 Sunspot Group is! It is a naked eye sunspot group already but one needs a safe solar filter to view it OR ELSE YOU RISKS PERMANENT EYE DAMAGE OR INJURY!

No comments: