Thursday, February 25, 2021

Solar Imaging Session - February 25, 2021 (Super Huge Looped Prominence!)

The sky this morning is clear and I started early and yesterday's huge hedgerow prominence has expanded into a super huge looped prominence! First time I saw and image such a huge monster prominence! I had a hard time framing the super huge prom on my ZWO ASI120MM webcam / Borg 76ED refractor setup that I had to use my Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS L lens set at 300mm to frame the entire super huge looped prominence into the image frame!

Aside from this beautiful feature on the Sun surface, AR2804 Sunspot Group is also very active as it shows bright flaring activity across the region. AR2805 Sunspot Group  shows slight flaring activity but supports a nice twirling dark filament. Remnant of AR2803 Sunspot Group can still be seen in Ha wavelength but is not visible in white light wavelength. Only large AR2804 and small AR2805 Sunspot Groups are visible in white light.

I wasn't able to test compare the advantage of using an Energy Rejection Filter (ERF) on loan from a friend of mine to compare against using just UV-IR filter only as too much solar activities on the Sun kept me all tied up and I run out of time to be able to compare the 2. Hopefully I would be able to test them this coming Sunday solar Imaging session.




















No comments: