Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Solar Imaging Session - December 9, 2010

The sky this morning was very cloudy and I initially don't think the clouds will clear up even a bit. As I was waiting for the sky to clear just in case, the sky was filled with Mammatus clouds and I cannot help but appreciates its beauty! As I checked on its term in Wikipedia, Mammatus, also known as mammatocumulus (meaning "mammary cloud" or "breast cloud"),is a meteorological term applied to a cellular pattern of pouches hanging underneath the base of a cloud. The name mammatus, derived from the Latin mamma (meaning "udder" or "breast"), refers to a resemblance between the characteristic shape of these clouds and the breast of a woman.



But after I brought my son to school and return home, I saw some sunlight so I quickly setup and grab a single shot of the Sun with AR11131 and AR11133 Sunspot Group before clouds covered the sky again :( Not much activity around the solar limb except for some small prominences today :(


No comments: