Saturday, October 22, 2011

Jupiter Imaging Session - October 22, 2011 (GRS Plumes & Red Barge)

After taking my son to dinner and window shopping at SM San Lazaro, I went back home to try to image Jupiter at around 9:00pm with Great Red Spot in Central Meridian. I was quite surprised tonight to see Jupiter already nearing my roof obstruction by that time! I realized tonight that I can start imaging Jupiter at around 8:00pm more or less in the days to come. :)

I was only able to get a single AVI frame tonight because of the time constrain. As I process the image, I was quite dumb found to see 2 white streaks on both sides of the GRS! I initially thought it was some artifacts or dust that might have made the streak! Also wondered why there is a shadow in the NEB thinking it might been cast by either of the 4 main Jovian moons :0 Double checking my Iphone app Sky Safari if there is any shadow event, there is none, so best way is to check out fellow ALPer John Nassr's October 20th image which I recall had GRS visibility more or less and was able to conclude the white streaks are white plumes from the Great Red Spot and the shadow question is a red barge :) Resizing my small image concluded I did get to image both features amid a fair seeing condition. Being a casual planetary imager unlike fellow ALPers Christopher Go and John Nassr, this is what I called a learning curve for me to test out the planetary imaging field aside from my usual solar, lunar and DSO imaging fields :)


1 comment:

Jurassic Mike said...

hi james, am interested in your "learning curve"... as an educator, i believe this is one area that you could also excel at. nice pics of jupiter you got here. btw, when are you going to visit bicol?