Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Solar Imaging Session - October 26, 2011

The sky this morning is clear so I setup my solar scopes to observe and image the Sun as usual. For this morning session, aside from imaging in Ha wavelength, I only concentrated on AR11330 Sunspot Group in white light wavelength as I also played around with going back to my old eyepiece projection imaging format with my Canon EOS 500D DSLR. I wanted to see if I can get better image with this format compared to using the webcam. Since the eyepiece projection method gives a bigger image scale, the solar granulation is easier to see compared to the webcam shot as it has about half of the image scale taken with the eyepiece projection shot which is more or less in the 15,500mm focal length. I think if given a good seeing of at least 3-4/5, one can see the granulation even better :) So I guess I will add this routine back to image the bigger sunspots only as it is very tedious to manually select from hundred of images taken just to get the best shot of the set. I will also try to learn how to stack high res single still frames in the days to come.

AR11330 Sunspot Group continues to grow in core structure and is so far the most developed group that is visible on the solar disk. The hook shaped dark filament is still visible above decaying AR11324. Only small to medium sized prominences are visible on the solar limb :( Only 5 groups are now visible on the Sun right now.

Below are the images that I took this morning.







No comments: