Wednesday, November 18, 2009

November 18, 2009 Leonid Meteor Shower Observation

Hello:

Although we were expecting a higher ZHR from Asia, we here in the Philippines were a bit disappointed with the turn out as from my observing site in the compound of Bicol University in Daraga, Albay, Philippines, ALPer Mike Cano and I were able to observe 25 sporadics and 20 Leonids only from 12:00am - 5:00am of Nov 18 (Nov 17 16:00-21:00 UT). Nevertheless I was able to image some Leonids as well as some trails coming from 2 bright bolide.

I would like to thank Dean Amy Dolosan who allowed us access to the roofdeck to observe at the darker compound of the university. Likewise to Ariel Chua of Studio Work Plus (http://studioworkplus.com/ ) in Legaspi City for lending me an extra photo tripod.




3 comments:

reynold chong said...

hi.. sir james yung leonid meteors shower di ko na po na kita after the 3:00 am sa aming lugar kasi po marami na pong ulap...

TV-101 said...

Hi Reynold:

Better luck next time :0 But the overall performance of the Leonids I didnt expect to be this bad :( I was only able to get around 4 Leonids and several smoke trains only. Better luck again in the upcoming Dec 14 Geminids :0

reynold chong said...

sir james this coming dec.14 to gimini meteor shower naman.