Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Solar Imaging Session - November 8, 2011 (AR11339 Sunspot Group & Large Eruptive Prominence ! )

The sky this morning was again initially cloudy and but at around 7:30am, sky partly clear again but seeing condition is not that good. I quickly image the Sun through Ha wavelength first and the NE quadrant is a beautiful area to observe as lot of activities and dark filaments near the AR11341, AR11342 and AR11343 region. Adding a large eruptive prominence and huge AR11339 sunspot group in the view was a sight to behold! AR11338 Sunspot Group is in the SW quadrant already and can be seen with a nice moderate sized eruptive prominence.

As I setup for white light wavelength, I started to image AR11339 Sunspot Group and I notice it has stretched in length as expected and the width of the group has also narrowed down a bit. So far, I can estimate that AR11339 Sunspot Group is just about the same length only as previous large AR11302 Sunspot Group. But I think the best time for me to estimate AR11339 Sunspot Group's maximum length and size is to compare today's image as well as tomorrow's image to get the average size of the group.

After I image the group, skies started to deteriorate and it affected most of the white light images I image afterwards. But I try to salvage and extract the most out of what I can squeezed out from the AVIs.

As I was trying to take full disk shot of the Sun, thick clouds rolled in before I can prepare and was only able to take a single frame which include small part of the Sun's disk getting clip off :(









No comments: