Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Comet Imaging Session - July 9, 2020 (Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE)

I try to observe and image the bright Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE from our roof deck earlier this morning to get a slightly darker sky background. I setup my Canon EOS M6 mirrorless camera on Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS L lens set at 400mm f/5.6 mounted on Vixen Porta II mount. The comet rises at around 4:21am PST (Philippine Standard Time +8 GMT) but I as able to locate it coming out of the low horizon clouds at around 4:37 am PST at an altitude of 3 degrees. Decent images were made at around 4:47am PST with an altitude of 4.5 degrees. The sky background was still a little dark so I was able to increase the ISO a bit to get some more details on the comet's tail which shows a more pronounced V Shape structure that seems to split the comet tail in the middle. Estimated comet tail length is about 1 degree long and magnitude estimate of around +1.5 . I ended my session at around 5:00am PST when the cloud beside the comet decided to cover it up.

No comments: