Sunday, July 1, 2012

Solar Imaging Session - July 1, 2012 (2 Huge Eruptive Prominences !!! )

The sky this morning is clear and seeing was also good.  Unfortunately, I had to tend to other stuff in the house this morning thus I was only able to image past lunchtime which means I had only a very limited time frame left again for me to do it :(

The Sun is getting active again after a week of low solar activity.  There are more than 5 sunspot groups on the Sun today with AR11515 being the biggest group and is visible in the SE quadrant. There is a huge eruptive prominence that is visible in the SE limb as well as a huge caterpillar like hedgerow prominence in the NE limb. Also visible is a faint large eruptive prominence visible near the northern limb.  AR11516 Sunspot Group show a very active flare activity inside its core despite its size.  Numerous dark filaments also surround AR11516 and AR11513 Sunspot Group area.

A very long faint dark filament can also be seen near the SW limb.  As much as I want to do white light imaging of the Sun today, I'm sad that I wasn't able to because of the tight skeds in the morning.  Anyway, a little more patience and 1.5 months to go for me to get back to regular solar imaging and observation session after the Sun reverts back to its easterly rising again.






No comments: