Monday, December 24, 2012

Solar Imaging Session - December 25, 2012

The sky this morning is very hazy and seeing is poor :( Nevertheless, I proceeded to observe the Sun as it's been more than 3 weeks the last time I did solar imaging because of busy skeds :( The Sun has 2 sunspot group visible on the disk with AR11635 Sunspot Group being the biggest group. Despite its size, there are no large umbral structure that will highlight this group except for a few smaller main groups found inside the group. AR11634 and AR11633 Sunspot Groups are nearing the SW limb and will probably be exiting in 2-3 days more or less. In Ha wavelength, not much activity except for some moderate flaring activity that is visible in AR11635 Sunspot Group. 2 large long dark filaments can be seen in the SW quadrant. Another possible new active region is developing in the NE limb as well. In white light, I was testing the Baader Solar Continuum narrow band Filter to replace my broadband #56 green filter in the hope of taming my seeing condition here in my place. Initial test result proves promising as despite the bad seeing condition, I can see better contrast on the granulation in the solar surface. Sunspot contrast is also enhanced a bit. I wasn't able to do higher magnification shot of AR11635 Sunspot Group because of the bad seeing so had to settle for the double stacked 2x barlow lens which shows slightly better image. Not that good but is fair enough IMHO. I hope to do further testing of the new filter in the days to come and hope for better seeing condition as well............

No comments: