Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Total Lunar Eclipse (Partial Phase Observation ) - December 21, 2010

Hello:

The December 21 total lunar eclipse will only be visible in the US. For us here in the Philippines, we would be able to see around 35% partiality phase remaining after the moon rises from the NE horizon at 5:32pm. This eclipse also falls on the same date as the northern winter solstice this year which is a rare occurrence. According to Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory, who inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is Dec. 21, 1638," says Chester. "Fortunately we won't have to wait 372 years for the next one...that will be on Dec. 21, 2094."

The sky in the afternoon was a bit cloudy and hazy but luckily for me, the sky here in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte was clear in the North-East horizon for me to be able to image the Partial phase of the total lunar eclipse that was visible in the US. But here in the Philippines, we could only view the partial phase which was estimated to be around 35% partiality remaining at Moonrise at around 5:32pm. But since there was a mountain in the NE horizon, I was able to get a view of the moonrise at around 5:38pm already and the Moon was very beautiful!!!

I was able to image the entire partial phase which last till around 6:05pm more or less. I continue to image into the penumbral phase till around 6:15pm before calling it a night. I still deem myself lucky to be able to image it almost completely compare to my other colleagues who reported seeing some parts of the partial eclipse under very hazy condition. Some even reported not to see it at all in their areas because of cloudy skies!!!

I would like to thank my godfather Mr. Antonio Co of Laoag Bazar for letting me use his roofdeck for me to image the beautiful eclipse! Thanks also to Mr. George Avila for giving me also another observation site option for this event. Thank you to both of you!!!









2 comments:

Azrael Coladilla said...

awesome coverage!

TV-101 said...

Thanks Azrael, hope you join ALP as a regular member.