Monday, October 24, 2011

Jupiter Imaging Session - October 24, 2011 ( GRS w / Plumes , 2 Barges , Io and Ganymede Double Transit & Shadow !!! )

As I was on the bus home from Tarlac work trip, I checked on my Sky Safari Iphone app and see how Jupiter will look like tonight. I was surprised to see that there will be 2Jovian satellites Io and Ganymede both undergoing Transit and shadow event tonight at around 11:00pm!

I quickly setup the being collimated Meade 8" SCT which I was performing yesterday as well as cleaning the optics off some molds and fungus on the corrector plate. I thought to myself that testing the unit on an actual session will let me determine how well i have collimated the scope. I tested the scope at low power and Jupiter snaps into focus and then I inserted a 2x barlow lens and I can see the Great Red Spot as well as its plumes in the SEB. Io was also visible trailing behind the GRS on the SEB region while Ganymede can be seen transiting and casting its shadow on the South Polar Region. Also visible are 2 barges that are visible in the NEB region as well.

I tested the webcam on the scope and at 2x barlow, the image easily snaps into focus but it is obvious the seeing condition that time was not that good at around 2/5 and I can see some turbulence on the planet disk. Testing further with double stacked 2 x barlow render the image very soft so I had to use only one barlow for the night to at least document and share the view with fellow members. My planetary imaging skill is a far cry from what I want but as they say practice and practice!!! :)


No comments: